Monday, April 18, 2011

Paper, plastic, glass, cans

I thought California would be a little more full of hippies, but I guess we are in SoCal and not in San Francisco or anything. We recently discovered that our building has no recycling. This is something I have taken completely for granted in my life, because everywhere I've ever lived has had really easy systems in place for recycling (especially the system on High Street, where dad does all the sorting. No sweat.).

So, once a week, we carry our milk crate full of recyclables down to the car and drive into town to visit the little "recycling center", which is located in a church parking lot and consists of 3 blue dumpsters ALL labeled "paper, plastic, glass, cans". This makes me nervous because I'm making the effort (and using the gas) to get to the recycling place, and then am not really sure that the system works. Who is sorting this stuff??

On another note....
mango salsa!! We made this last night and served it over fish. I think this was the first time in my life that I was ever able to buy an actual RIPE mango. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. John's place in the San Fran area does not have recycling either.

    It actually takes more energy for California to have separate recycling pickups than they would save actually recycling.

    TMYK

    ReplyDelete