Sunday, April 24, 2011

Franklin Canyon

What do you do if you're city folk craving trees? As New Yorkers, Beth and I were used to the up-at-dawn + subway ride + 2hr train-ride (or rental car drive) to finally get out to the New York State forests and hikes. Sure, there were the wonderful city parks to get us by, but it always seemed like a fight to get to a place where we could be truly taken in by nature.

L.A. is different. When we were visiting six months ago, a friend of mine had told us this -- that L.A. was integrated into nature the way few other cities were. And though we knew about the beaches and the wine valleys, I kind of assumed he meant that you could drive *out* of L.A. to get to the really good stuff.

Apparently not. Franklin Canyon is a mere 30-40 minute drive from our apartment, and it's spectacular. It's difficult to believe, but it's actually somehow tucked between Beverly Hills and Studio City -- two of the least 'natural' parts of Los Angeles imaginable. Beth and I spent most of this last Saturday there, and saw perhaps 1/10th of the whole park.

Alright, L.A; I have to admit, I'm kind of liking you so far. (I wish I had a better camera, but until I buy my dream SLR I'll have to post a few snapshots from the ol' iPhone).


No comments:

Post a Comment