Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bring on the Bubbles

Sometime during my tenure at my last office, I developed a true love of seltzer. As a kid, I hated the stuff (not water, not sugary soda, what the heck?), but as a grown-up, I just adore the tingly bubbles. In the office, there was a vending machine that sold cans of seltzer, and I would visit it regularly. I'd also stock up on cans from the local Stop n' Shop. I'd sip seltzer all summer on our patio, either straight, added to juice, or with a slice of lemon or lime (or one of each).

BUT...ever since we moved to CA, I've been having SO much trouble finding the stuff I'm looking for. You know, SELTZER: bubbly water with no fake flavors and no sodium added. At least in my area of CA, 100% of "seltzer" I've found in markets is flavored and not available in cans. (I like adding my own flavors and I hate the bottles because they lose fizz.) I've come to realize that there may be a gap in what I think things are called and what Californians call them. Here are my definitions:
  • Seltzer: (see above—no sodium being key)
  • Club soda: bubbly water with sodium added
  • Sparkling water: bubbly mineral water, such as Pellegrino
This past weekend I just stumbled upon some sparkling water (no sodium added, no minerals) that's available in mini bottles, though still no cans. For now I'll stick to this, but...are cans of seltzer a regional thing?? And how about the definitions?

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever considered a SodaStream? One of my friends has one - mostly for making seltzer, but you can also make your own soda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at those in Target! I think it might really be worth the space it'd take...we are kind of accumulating a lot of kitchen gadgets, but I must say that they all pull their weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have nice natural sparkling water in Java from a source in the mountains...."equil". Maybe you could import and I could export!

    ReplyDelete