Thursday, September 1, 2011

Los Angeles, the Land of Outdoor Movies

One of my favorite things about LA so far is that there are so many opportunities to be outside, even in the evening. Outdoor movie screenings are especially awesome. So far, we have hit a grand summer total of 2 outdoor movies and 1 outdoor play.

A while ago, we watched Young Frankenstein at the Hollywood Forever cemetery. (Yup, INSIDE the cemetery! They project the movie onto the side of a mausoleum. I had my vampire-slaying skills at the ready, but they were not needed.)
Luckily, we had friends on the inside to tell us important tips for this event: get there early, bring snacks, bring games, bring layers. They also inspired us to get the exact same backpack chairs they're sporting in this pic.
We later toted our backpack chairs to this Outdoor Cinema Food Fest in Beverly Hills. This time we saw Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. It took place in a baseball field with a huge inflatable movie screen.
Before the movie, we all got dinner (and then dessert!) from various food trucks stationed around the edge of the field. (Chris already has a post planned on food trucks, so I don't want to steal his thunder.) I got chickpea sliders from this truck.
One thing I didn't expect: It became SO. COLD. at night. LA is deceptive like that. For the Young Frankenstein screening, I had enough layers (flannel shirt plus hoodie). My face and hands were chilly, but that was okay. This time, my sweatshirt was not nearly enough. I plan to attend plenty of these, but next time I'm seriously considering long johns and a ski hat. If that happens, I promise to post a picture of me wearing full winter gear in Los Angeles for your amusement.

2 comments:

  1. Should I bring winter gear?! My last trip to San Francisco totally surprised me and I ended up wearing the same single sweater-type top for the entire weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't experienced the fall here yet, but I would say *definitely* bring multiple warm layering options and/or a jacket, at least for nighttime. I'd guess that days are probably warmer than SF here, but it always surprises me how much the temp drops at night.

    ReplyDelete